Thursday, February 24, 2011

6 radiation treatments to go..you bloody beauty!!

There is a light at the end of this tunnel, and I can see it now. It can't arrive soon enough in my eyes.
How have I been of late and what's the latest with my wonderful machine called the human body? Well, I'm glad you asked!

I've managed to continue eating via the mouth up to now and today my weight is 61.4 kgs, which shows that I've kept up with the required food calorie intake. The soreness is my throat is still there but the numbing solutions are dealing well with that. If all goes according to my plan, I hope to manage the next 3 weeks eating via the mouth. Fingers crossed that I can make it as after this period has elapsed, the dietician will recommend that the stomach peg be removed. Another milestone to look forward to as the tape used to hold the peg up against my skin has created a rash across my entire stomach area. 

The radiation burns around my neck area are really starting to kick it up a notch. I've started to develop some blistering on the skin, which feels as dry as a sun baking stone in the desert. To combat this, I smother my neck in pure sorbolene cream, thicker than Warnie's nose had ever been covered in sunblock. Funny thing is, after a few hours, it's all gone having been completely and totally absorbed into my skin.

My veins are showing signs of superficial thrombophlebitis, which is due to the combination of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Therefore, it was a great relief when the Doc got the cannula in on the 2nd attempt yesterday. I could've done cartwheels down the hallway, well almost if not for the cannula in my arm.

** 2 hour nanna nap delay required **

Ok, I'm bacccck!

On Tuesday, I had to go to Westmead Hospital's Dental clinic to have two mouth guards made up.  Due to the radiation treatments causing my saliva grands to dry up,  the worry is that the teeth do not have the protection of constant saliva being generated within the mouth and therefore they now require regular flouride injections to protect them from decay. In addition to brushing and flossing, I need to place within the tray area of the guards, two products that I will alternate every second evening called Colgate Neutraflouor 5000 Plus and Recaldent GC Tooth Mousse Plus. If I should ever take up a full contact sport again, at least I have tailor made guards ready to go :)

So to end today's entry.....

No comments:

Post a Comment