Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 5 completed!!

Hi All, apologies for the long absence in posting but I've been otherwise occupied.  I've been cramming in some mountain biking, skydiving, scuba dives, rock climbs, triathlons. Well,  that's a slight lie, but I certainly wish I had been doing those things!

The past week and a bit has been a little more difficult in that I've been low on energy at times and struggling to maintain my diet. Having no sense of taste added to that as well. Thankfully though, I've managed to turn this around this week and have keep on eating away at the cardboard flavoured food.  The soreness in my throat has settled down a bit with the drugs helping numb the mouth / throat, which in turn is helping me continue to eat. My weight is down slightly and today I tipped the scales at 60.5 kgs, so I really have to pick away at food more often otherwise the doctors will become very upset with me.

The areas underneath the sides of my jaw are showing obvious signs of radiation burn, with dark shadows appearing on the skin. The skin in this area is drying up as well but nothing to bad as yet. With only two weeks of radiation treatments remaining, it's important to keep up the daily regimen of applying pure sorbolene cream to help my skin repair as best as it can.

I'll be posting a link to a video shortly that will show how the radiation machine pictured below works and you'll hear the 9 zaps of gamma radiation that I receive daily.  It's very amazing technology.

2 comments:

  1. You have such a positive attitude. It's inspiring to watch/read the spirit in which you are tackling this challenge. I look forward to the video! :) Meanwhile, keep eating ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story, it's an amazing insight. Good luck with the next two weeks of treatment - I too am interested, and probably just a little scared, to watch your video.

    ReplyDelete