Tuesday, February 8, 2011

These Radiation treatments are making me thirsty!

Well it's day two of week four, 4:30am and my mouth is just so darn dry. My taste buds and saliva have now gone AWOL so if anyone should see them, please inform them that this is an offence which will be punished by Court Martial under Article 86 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

The soreness in my throat is teetering on borderline unbearable, but the drugs certainly are assisting me there to suppress the pain.  My hair is thinning out and when I shower, it looks like I've just returned from the hairdressers with the amount that washes down the drain.  At least with the heatwave of late, this has been a good thing.

I now tip the scales at 61 kgs and have to regularly consume high protein body fuel drinks. The drink which my dietitian recommended is called Ensure Plus which packs the following into a 237ml bottle;
- 350 calories, 13 grams of protein, 24 essential minerals and vitamins, and Omega 3's to keep the heart healthy. Interestingly though,  even with my taste buds being AWOL, I can still detect a difference between the vanilla and chocolate flavours.

After this Friday, I'll have 3 more weeks of the radiation treatments left to complete then the 3 cycles of intensive chemotherapy in hospital,  The finish line may still be a long way off,  but knowing that I'm a quarter of the way through the my initial treatment plan which finishes mid-April is a great feeling.

On a different note, Madison's arm is healing well and her bones are mending straight which was excellent news.

The drugs have kicked in,   ZZZZZzzzzz.....back to bed I go!

1 comment:

  1. A quarter of the way through? Woo hoo. Worthy of celebration. Congrats. Hang in there ...

    ReplyDelete