Friday, May 6, 2011

The end isn't near......it's here!!

It's 6am, the ward is eerily quiet, I'm wide awake, and my countdown to freedom has begun. The machine that administers my chemotherapy says that I have 9 hours and 5 minutes remaining with 454ml to go. I'd "almost" drink the remainder of the 5FU drug just to escape the confides of Hotel Nepean.

The last cycle of treatment has been the most difficult to endure on many levels. The complete loss of appetite has been hard to deal with,  which isn't made any easier by the meals produced here at the hotel. The kitchen staff would never win a challenge on Masterchef. I've been completely exhausted by this round of chemotherapy which has had me sleeping between 16-20 hours each day. I've not slept this much since I was in nappies (that was 45 years ago just in case someone decided to make a smart alec comment) Finally, realising that this is the last round and feeling constantly sick from the treatment, my only thought was that I  just want it to be all over. Somewhat foolishly, I debated over and over that the treatment could end a day or two earlier but thankfully to the love and support of my family and friends, I've managed to see it through.

So, this afternoon I'll return home a free man, no more treatments left to complete, and begin the next step of my journey to recovery.  The finish line is still a long way away but hopefully it won't take me too many months to regain my weight, strength and fitness. The doctors are giving me a month to rest before subjecting me to another PET scan, camera scan, and ultrasound test, which will determine how the cancer has reacted to the treatment and hopefully, then declaring me devoid of the devil inside.

I'd like to thank so many people individually here on the blog, but you all know who you are and what you've done to help me through this difficult challenge in my life. From the bottom of my heart, Thank You,  for the cards,  gifts,  visits,  calls,  emails,  SMS messages, support and assistance that I've received along the way.

And to my beautiful and loving family, the 3 most important girls in my life, thank you for the love, support and happiness that you've showered upon me.

2 comments:

  1. Your positive attitude throughout your treatment is inspirational Sly. Enjoy the ride home :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto that. Thank you for sharing your journey. You're positivity is inspirational, and I know from experience that a good mental attitude will work wonders with modern medicine to achieve outstanding results. Congrats on the end of chemo. I look forward to hearing about the big thumbs up in a months time :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete