Friday, April 1, 2011

Cycle 1 over.......

And not a moment too soon!

The chemotherapy actually got to me on the final day (Sunday/Monday) and started making me feel weak and tired.  Considering this though, I was still like a greyhound in the box getting ready to race when preparing to leave hospital, having packed my bags,  fully dressed and feet tapping away 3 hours prior to departure. Funny thing was when I finally walked out, it was then that I realised for the first time that this chemotherapy had weakened me.  I had to really concentrate when taking each step and making sure that I was evenly balanced as I walked, but,  nothing was stopping me getting out of there.

The only other side effect that I'm suffering from is a sore mouth and throat. The little centurion soldier hasn't returned thankfully. This time, my gums are just one huge ulcer which as anyone could imagine, isn't the most pleasant of feelings. I have to not talk and keep my mouth closed and moist at all times. It's been 5 days since I left hospital and it doesn't appear to be getting any better as yet, if anything, it's getting worse. No pain, no gain, I suppose.

I had a review of my treatment with the Oncologist at Nepean on Wednesday to see how everything had went. As far as reaction to treatment, my body took it well and the mouth issue is a result of the 5FU drug, so really, really looking forward to cycle 2..not!

If all things proceed according to plan, I have 10 days of treatments remaining to complete, then a month afterwards to recover from the chemotherapy.  After this, it'll be a huge effort to try and regain normality in body weight, muscle mass, strength and fitness.  I can't believe that the doctors think it'll take 3-5 months for that to happen. Hopefully I can prove them wrong on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment